Who's ready for Spring? I am! This winter has felt long and we still have a couple of months to go.
I've been busy sewing in my warm sewing studio. It's right next to my wood stove, so naturally, I've been hanging out there all winter.
My family and I are going on a cruise this spring and I remember from past cruises there's always a fancy dress night. I wanted to make my own fancy dress an I had an actual place to wear it. Win-Win! Cue the Butterick pattern that I've had in my arsenal for a while. I had yards and yards of fabric leftover from a Halloween project.
I decided to make the B5882 dress because I had nothing to lose. My fabric wasn't anything I had an attachment to, I just dove in! I did make a muslin first because I almost always have to do an FBA. But...no FBA was needed this time. Shock and awe!
I made the muslin, tried it on, and it fit! Hooray! Next was the cutting of the fashion fabric and lining. I went in head first and full of confidence.
That whole folding thing was super simple with muslin fabric. Not so much with Taffeta. It was fiddly and didn't press how I expected. So, in the end I went with however the fabric behaved and called it a day. You'll notice in my photos at the end that the strap still doesn't lay flat.
I had never used boning before, but have made my own bras. In the future, I want to dabble in corsetry for myself. I own a few corsets and love them. I love how they squish everything into place and keep it there. I didn't buy the pre-cased plastic boning as the pattern recommended. Instead, I ordered yardage of spiral steel boning from Etsy. I also ordered boning casing, and the little metal caps that go on the ends to you don't get poked. I was intimidated, but it ended up being pretty darn easy!
Excuse the lighting, I did the boning part at night.
Grab that zipper and foot. The pattern calls for a lapped zipper which is similar to a regular zip, but the measurements are changed up a little bit.
You want the left seam to be smaller than the right seam so the fabric folds over and conceals the zipper. I always love a lapped zipper because they're easy and a nod to true vintage style.
I didn't take any more photos after the zipper. All that's left to do was the skirt. Follow the directions and match the notches. Hand sew the lining to the zipper and hand stitch the bodice lining to the skirt lining.
Let the dress hang for 24 hours. Sew the hem by sewing a 1/4" seam line around both the lining and dress. Fold up the edge and press. Then, fold it up again and stitch. You'll have 3 layers. You're basically creating a narrow hem.
I added the waist stay last- I completely forgot about it until I saw the ribbon I had cut, draped over my sewing cart. Haha!!
I tacked the ribbon at the waist with a few stitches where the boning seams were. Sewed on the hook and eye and it was done! Time to take all the pretty pictures.
If you have made this dress or do make it, please tag me! I want to see your makes. This dress had new things and I really enjoyed making it. Aside from the pesky folding of those cups, it was fairly easy. Don't be intimidated by the boning like I was.
As always, thanks for reading and hanging out. Find me on Instagram so we can be sewing besties.
Hi there, I'm Annette and I love eating and sewing. I usually have a cup of coffee or tea with me, but not next to my machine because I'd probably spill it. I am the reason we can't have nice things.
All Beginner Sewists Butterick Pattern Fabric Storage Garment Sewing Gertie Patterns Holiday Sewing Machine Cleaning Me Made May Sewing For The Home Sewing Hack Sewing Machine Sewing Organization Sewing Swimwear Sewing Thoughts Simple Sewing Simplicity Patterns Vintage Notions Vintage Patterns Vintage Sewing